- Tiernan Finishes 1st, Frederic Rookie of the Year, Bonilla Places 9th at Skyline Cross Country Championship -
Bronx, N.Y. - For the second consecutive year, Farmingdale State senior Sean Tiernan (Staten Island, N.Y.) took the individual title as he cruised to a winning time of 27:39.06 on the 8,000-meter course at the Skyline Conference Cross Country Championships on Sunday, November 20th at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y.
Rams sophomore Melissa Bonilla (Massapequa Park, N.Y.) finished 9th individually for the women's team in a time of 21:53.37. Freshman William Frederic (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished in 10th for the men in a time of 29:50.08. All three FSC runners received All-Conference distinction for their Top-14 place finishes in the race. Frederic was named the Skyline Rookie of the Year after posting the top freshman time in the race. The men's team took 4th place, while the women took 6th.
St. Joseph’s-L.I. captured both the men’s and women’s team titles for the second straight season, led by senior Eric Haun’s (28:19.76) runner-up finish, the Golden Eagles placed five runners in the top six and seven of the top 12 overall. Sophomore Evan Haun, the 2010 Skyline Rookie of the Year, finished third in a time of 29:09.47, followed by seniors Mike Merolle (29:20.51) and Jon Heitner (29:24.85). SJC junior Mike Lombardi (29:36.96) and senior David Sweet of Yeshiva (29:39.27) also garnered first-team All-Conference distinction after finishing sixth and seventh respectively.
St. Joseph’s amassed 20 points to seize its third crown in four years, followed by Maritime (84), Yeshiva (87), Farmingdale State (90), The Sage Colleges (116), Purchase (157), Mount Saint Mary (191), NYUPoly (202) and Old Westbury (264).
On the women’s side, teammates Christine Cristobal and Gillian Goodwin finished first and second as St. Joseph’s-L.I. seized its eighth conference title in program history. Cristobal registered a winning time of 20:08.10 on the 5,000-meter course, while 2010 champion Goodwin earned runner-up distinction with a mark of 20:23.08. SJC teammates Caitlyn Ryan (20:54.46) and AnnMarie Zigrosser (21:08.61) finished fifth and sixth, respectively, with Zigrosser garnering 2011 Skyline Rookie of the Year honors.
Mount Saint Mary senior Cassandra Gucciardo placed third overall in a time of 20:41.76, while teammate Nicole Zazzero notched a fourth-place showing with a time of 20:47.85. Purchase freshman Laurel Squadron also earned first-team All-Conference honors as she finished seventh overall in a time of 21:47.59.
SJC compiled 25 points and was followed by Mount Saint Mary
(38), Maritime (105), Purchase (105), Yeshiva (132), Farmingdale
State (134), NYU-Poly (205) and Old Westbury (236).
Jim Crowley of St. Joseph’s-L.I. was named the 2011 Skyline Men’s and Women’s Coach of the Year, while Mount Saint Mary earned the Team Sportsmanship Award on the men’s side, while St. Joseph’s-L.I. took home the women’s Team Sportsmanship Award.
Runners placing in the top seven overall were named First-Team All-Conference, while runners finishing 8-14 garnered Second-Team All-Conference distinction.
Men’s First-Team All-Conference
- Sean Tiernan, Farmingdale State (Champion)
- Eric Haun, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (2nd)
- Evan Haun, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (3rd)
- Mike Merolle, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (4th)
- Jon Heitner, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (5th)
- Mike Lombardi, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (6th)
- David Sweet, Yeshiva (7th)
Men’s Second-Team All-Conference
- Jake Agosto, Purchase (8th)
- Jonathan Afanador, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (9th)
- William Frederic, Farmingdale State (10th, Rookie of the Year)
- Samuel Cohen, Yeshiva (11th)
- Michael Buscemi, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (12th)
- Matthew Taraboletti, Maritime (13th)
- Luke Milano, Maritime (14th)
Women’s First-Team All-Conference
- Christine Cristobal, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (Champion)
- Gillian Goodwin, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (2nd)
- Cassandra Gucciardo, Mount Saint Mary (3rd)
- Nicole Zazzero, Mount Saint Mary (4th)
- Caitlyn Ryan, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (5th)
- AnnMarie Zigrosser, St. Joseph’s-L.I (6th, Rookie of the Year)
- Laurel Squadron, Purchase (7th)
Women’s Second-Team All-Conference
- Rachel Sleeter, Mount Saint Mary (8th)
- Melissa Bonilla, Farmingdale State (9th)
- Emily Stafford, Mount Saint Mary (10th)
- Maureen Quinn, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (11th)
- Jackie Bellisari, Maritime (12th)
- Jessica Cowell, Mount Saint Mary (13th)
- Ally Waka, St. Joseph’s-L.I. (14th)